Author Topic: SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx CD unit.  (Read 1322 times)

elmer

SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx CD unit.
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
SuperGrafx owners already know that the SuperGrafx won't physically fit in the standard-at-the-time Japanese IFU-30 CD briefcase, and required the ugly RAU-30 interface cable in order to use the PC Engine CD.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it just occurred to me that the SuperGrafx came out at approximately the same time that the TurboGrafx came out in the US, and that the TurboGrafx's rear-end looks a lot like the SuperGrafx's rear-end ... and that's got me wondering.

Does a SuperGrafx fit into the US TurboGrafx's CD unit? Has anyone ever tried this?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:20:58 PM by elmer »

imparanoic

Re: SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx CD unit.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:49 PM »
the aesthetic appeal of a super grafx with the brief case old cd rom is not exactly appealing

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~tetuya/FXHP/pcengine/hard/romada2.jpg

However,  super grafx directly into a super cd rom is not bad, though it takes a lot of room ( depth wise) , best ( imo) is super grafx with rau-30 into a super cd rom so you can place it lengthwise, seems unnecessary, but it seems a stunner

elmer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
However,  super grafx directly into a super cd rom is not bad, though it takes a lot of room ( depth wise) , best ( imo) is super grafx with rau-30 into a super cd rom so you can place it lengthwise, seems unnecessary, but it seems a stunner

Hmmm ... I hadn't thought of using both the RAU-30 and the SuperCDROM ... I'll have to try it to see if I agree with you.

I imagine that the SuperGrafx/TurboGrafxCD combo could look quite good ... if only it fitted.

csgx1

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
Interesting combo idea; you got me curious...

Just tried test fitting and it won't work without serious modifications.  Height of the SGX expansion port is about a 1/2 inch higher than the Turbografx port making the insertion angle off. Maybe taking off the bottom of the SGX case might work. 

If you somehow get the SGX to insert straight, you still would need to modify the port opening to fit.

Modding the RAU-30 to fit the Turbografx CD might be easier. That would be one funky looking system though.

elmer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
Thank you so much for trying that and posting such great pictures!  :)

I've got to say ... that if it had actually fit, then IMHO, it would have been quite a nice combo, and an interesting alternative to the SuperCDROM.

Dicer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
I gotta say if you took the front of the CD unit off, then it look like it should fit, you'd just have to make rubber footies for the SGX

SamIAm

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
Hey, speak of the devil, a shop near me just put an RAU-30 up for sale for about 3000 yen. Should I get it?

I do have a Supergrafx, although I also have a Duo and I really don’t need to “simplify” my setup at all.

Maybe if someone here wants it, we could set up a deal.

elmer

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Maybe if someone here wants it, we could set up a deal.

Thank you for the offer ... I hope that someone here will take you up on it.

As for me ... my priority (low as it is) is to find a PC-FX GA DOS/V. If you ever see one of those, then I'd love to know!

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »

that actually look pretty cool,  somewhat futuristic. sucks there wasnt much games for it

imparanoic

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?148269-Turbo-CD-Does-it-work-with-PCE-or-Supergrafx

seems like the t16 and pc engine expansion connector is physically different, pins are the same though

imparanoic

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
with the supergrafx, rau30 and super cdrom, this set up will look like one awesome beast, yet it will take up more room than this ultimate pc engine set up

seieienbu

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »
Out of curiosity, does a TG16 fit in a Super CDROM^2?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Bloufo

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »
If I had to take a pic of the two connected you'd be looking at it and telling me that it fits.
But no. The TG16 goes in almost all the way but you can't force the pins in.
With some modification though maybe it could work.

csgx1

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
A Turbografx with a Super CDrom will work with modification to the expansion port connector.  I believe someone here did it years ago, but I can't remember who. 

xelement5x

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 07:17:20 AM »

Congratulations!  I bet they will make a beautiful child, please post pictures in 9 months!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story