• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPER GRAFX review by HappyConsoleGamer (this one is better)

camineet

Banned
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=rpXJj0Hz5l4

Much better than that really misinformed review by Game|Life.

This guy got ahold of a MINT complete SGX. I am so envious, my SGX was a beater :lol

He is almost like me for his liking the SGX, in that he remembers it from 1989, he talks about how it's as if nobody has heard of SGX which pretty much true, even some hardcore gamers don't know what a SGX is, and it's something he always wanted to have.

I agree, that was better, a lot better... the only thing I could say he 'messed up' was not saying that Darius Plus was the other SG/TG16 dual-mode title, along with Darius Alpha. He mentioned Darius Plus, but not that it was the other dual-mode title... But other than that, quite good video, and well done...

I wonder how much all that stuff cost, could have been quite a bit...

He is almost like me for his liking the SGX, in that he remembers it from 1989, he talks about how it's as if nobody has heard of SGX which pretty much true, even some hardcore gamers don't know what a SGX is, and it's something he always wanted to have.

It just looks so cool... :)

camineet

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
I agree, that was better, a lot better... the only thing I could say he 'messed up' was not saying that Darius Plus was the other SG/TG16 dual-mode title, along with Darius Alpha. He mentioned Darius Plus, but not that it was the other dual-mode title... But other than that, quite good video, and well done...

True, true.

I wonder how much all that stuff cost, could have been quite a bit...

It's been awhile since I researched SGX prices. I payed $275 in 1997 for an unboxed SGX and GnG. Not a steal but not a total ripoff either.

It just looks so cool... :)

What system of the 16-bit generation looks cooler than this

l_supergrafx_all_1.jpg

super-grafx.jpg

nec-supergrafx.jpg

13supergrafx.jpg

Not even the NeoGeo. Maybe the X68000 does, though ;)

Yes Boss!

Definitely better than Kohler's video. Though, to be fair, Kohler is not really clued in on the whole PC-Engine scene.

I had a Supergrafx back in the day with most of the games and it was a great system. At minimum it was just one shit-hot looking PC-Engine. I eventually traded it into Diehard Gamers Club and I kinda wished I kept it. ;-(

camineet

Banned
I got my SuperGrafx from Die Hard Game Club, aka Game Club, near Chicago. I don't think it had any relation to the mailorder company that advertized in magazines, but then again, maybe it did, or capitalized on the name, for all I know.

Yes Boss!

camineet said:
I got my SuperGrafx from Die Hard Game Club, aka Game Club, near Chicago. I don't think it had any relation to the mailorder company that advertized in magazines, but then again, maybe it did, or capitalized on the name, for all I know.

Yeah, ours was in Ventura California and their little newsletter eventually became the Magazine Gamefan. If it is the same company then maybe you have my Supergrafx!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That system is so fucking hideous. It resembles the kind of kit that someone designed while struggling through a mid-life crisis, only to look back, see what he spawned, and finally end himself in shame.

I actually think I prefer the original Xbox's look.

Liberty4all

Banned
The Turbografix-16 card style games, really got me hooked on "collecting" games in general. I'd line up all my game cards just for the joy of looking at my massive collection.

My buddy had a PC Engine, which I also really liked ... the console just screamed "Japanese ingenuity" at a time when really not a whole lot of people in NA really understood that all of these "new" consoles were being ported over from the Japanese marketplace.

I still remember getting a Famicom adapater from a Chinese store, and using that to play Super Mario Bros. 3 on my NES, months before it came out in North America. Also got to play SMB:The Lost Levels (SMB:2 in Japan) as well .... that shit kicked my ass so hard. The Japanese import market back then was the height of nerdom in my opinion.

Good times.

Yes Boss!

Bamelin said:
The Turbografix-16 card style games, really got me hooked on "collecting" games in general. I'd line up all my game cards just for the joy of looking at my massive collection.

My buddy had a PC Engine, which I also really liked ... the console just screamed "Japanese ingenuity" at a time when really not a whole lot of people in NA really understood that all of these "new" consoles were being ported over from the Japanese marketplace.

I still remember getting a Famicom adapater from a Chinese store, and using that to play Super Mario Bros. 3 on my NES, months before it came out in North America. Also got to play SMB:The Lost Levels (SMB:2 in Japan) as well .... that shit kicked my ass so hard. The Japanese import market back then was the height of nerdom in my opinion.

Good times.

Don't forget to add $200 Neo Geo games! Crazy import time. I only just started reimporting a few year back with the DS.

Definitely a unique time in gaming before Sony made everything hip. Glad to have gamed back then.

andymcc

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Definitely better than Kohler's video. Though, to be fair, Kohler is not really clued in on the whole PC-Engine scene.

The thing that hurt that video even more was the fact that he didn't know the difference between Ghouls n Ghosts and Super Ghouls n Ghosts... :lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Don't forget to add $200 Neo Geo games! Crazy import time. I only just started reimporting a few year back with the DS.

Definitely a unique time in gaming before Sony made everything hip. Glad to have gamed back then.

Neo Geo prices were insane ... oh how I wanted many many of those titles. I guarantee that if back then I made the money I make now, I would have probaly had a big collection. Sadly I was forced to just stare at demo units set up at gaming stores, and dream wistfully.

I think the thing about gaming back then, is that there really was no internet to speak of, no "easy access" community to find out tips and tricks, aside from gaming mags that even then (early NES days) were just starting to find their way into the market.

Shit I remember finding the warp zone to world 8 in SMB all on my own. I walked around afterwards like I was the fucking MAN, and then called up a few of my school friends to let them know about the huge secret I had found out. I basked in their awe.

Likewise with the import market (buying Japanese stuff in Chinatown, etc), it was discovered through word of mouth. I was lucky enough to have a couple friends whose families had immigrated to Toronto from Hong Kong (this was back in the late 80's early 90's when anyone over there that had the loot was getting out of HK before China took over). Having come from what was back then, the equivilant of gamer's heaven ground zero, they taught me what all of us North Americans were missing out on.

Of course everything is different now. I still think though that some of my love for Japanese titles comes from those heady days of nerdy discovery ...

camineet

Banned
andymcc said:
The thing that hurt that video even more was the fact that he didn't know the difference between Ghouls n Ghosts and Super Ghouls n Ghosts... :lol

Yeah that felt as bad as dropping a load in my drawers. Can't believe he didn't know Super GnG is the freaking sequel. Oh and also, 1941 was only playable at home on the SGX back then until PSP /Xbox/PS2 in recent years, it wasn't out on every system of the time like the other guy said.

Mejilan said:
That system is so fucking hideous. It resembles the kind of kit that someone designed while struggling through a mid-life crisis, only to look back, see what he spawned, and finally end himself in shame.

Everyone has different opinions, but you're definitely in the minority on that one. Most people who comment on the looks of this console say they like it, that it looks cool, neat, awesome, etc. Beauty *is* in the eye of the beholder :)

andymcc said:

Oh man. That I would expect from N'Gai Croal or Geoff Keighley (no offense Geoff), but not Chris K.

Grimmy

Banned
Bamelin said:

I'm the same. But it was the advent of the Super CD-ROM^2 that really made me an addict. I remembered I saw a "preview" of Far East of Eden II: Manjimaru that showcased the new PC-Engine Duo, and I was blown away - full voice and anime-like cutscene! I became addicted after that. I still have some really rare gems, like Cosmic Fantasy series, the Shubibinman series, bunch of HuCards, etc.

sk3tch

Barkley's Justice said:
the super grfx beats the 3do "hands down" with its 4 chumpy-ass games? ok, there, dude...

Pretty sure he's referring to the "coolness" factor. And yeah...the SuperGrafx is better. :) This is coming from me, a guy that bought a 3DO for $650 back then (and I was like 16 and I bought it with money I saved from working!).

BatmanX

Oh what great memories you've awaken here.

I owned a super grafx myself and totally loved it. That particular winter's season spent trying beating that ghouls'n'ghosts fucker, its still one of the most enjoyable experience with vg.

The review is pretty good, I didn't know that Darius cd-rom super rarest version, benefited of improvements if played on Super Grafx

He didn't mention btw a important thing about the story of Super grafx.

The console was presented to the press and to the producers, along with a sort of add-on cabable of being a wheel and a flight/ joystick throttle altogether (I suppose that would explain that battle ace game from Hudson Software).

http://faberp.tripod.com/PC.htm

powcon2.jpg

superconsole1.jpg

If you remember a similar project was already announced from KONIX years before, even more ambitious than that (and sadly they both followed the same destiny of never seeing the light of the day )

Maybe because of the announced price tag being too high or maybe because of the add-one seemed too huge for japanese people, third party publishers dropped the ball from the start. The 5 titles were infact made internal by Nec Avenue and Hundson software....

SERGE

BatmanX said:

I owned a super grafx myself and totally loved it. That particular winter's season spent trying beating that ghouls'n'ghosts fucker, its still one of the most enjoyable experience with vg.

The review is pretty good, I didn't know that Darius cd-rom super rarest version, benefited of improvements if played on Super Grafx

The console was presented to the press and to the producers, along with a sort of add-on cabable of being a wheel and a flight/ joystick throttle altogether (I suppose that would explain that battle ace game from Hudson Software).

powcon2.jpg

superconsole1.jpg

If you remember a similar project was already announced from KONIX years before, even more ambitious than that (and sadly they both followed the same destiny of never seeing the light of the day )

Maybe because of the announced price tag being too high or maybe because of the add-one seemed too huge for japanese people, third party publishers dropped the ball from the start. The 5 titles were infact made internal by Nec Avenue and Hundson software....

Wow look at that!! I have never seen or heard of that before!

BatmanX said:

Super Darius and Super Darius II (both for Turbo CD) aren't SuperGrafx-compatible. No CD games have SuperGrafx enhancements. The only games with them are Darius Plus and Darius Alpha, both on standard HuCards.

powcon2.jpg

superconsole1.jpg

A picture of that controller? Awesome! And wow, that's one large, and awesome looking, piece of hardware there... this side of the Steel Batallion controller, I don't know of anything that cool like that. The same stylings as the console, but in a large flightstick controller... very, very cool. :)

It's too bad it didn't come out...

Oh, and you're definitely right about third parties. Zero third party games, really? All seven games first-party published I wouldn't be surprised if the TG16 and TGCD had high first-to-third party publishing numbers, but that's just ridiculous. Without games (from launch on), nobody's going to buy a system.

camineet

Banned
BatmanX said:

powcon2.jpg

superconsole1.jpg

Ahh yes, the SuperGrafx 'Power Console'.

ouzckk.jpg

EGM mentioned it once or twice but I don't think they ever showed a picture of it.

If only SGX had been an arcade quality system with scaling & rotation, that controller would've been great games like AfterBurner, ThunderBlade, GalaxyForce, SuperHangOn, etc

It's interesting that you compare a peripheral for the SGX to the Konix MultiSystem which was the controller & system all in one. Konix was more functional in that it transformed into 3 different forms: flight yoke, steering wheel, motorbike handle bars.

Konix Multi System
Mach_-_Konix_Multi_System.jpg

konix_multisystem_1.jpg

PolyGone

Banned
camineet said:
Oh and also, 1941 was only playable at home on the SGX back then until PSP /Xbox/PS2 in recent years, it wasn't out on every system of the time like the other guy said.

Well, maybe not as good as the arcade, but there were a couple versions on the NES.

PolyGone said:
Well, maybe not as good as the arcade, but there were a couple versions on the NES.

As I said in the last thread, those were 1942 and 1943, NOT 1941! Is it really that hard to tell the games in the 194x series apart?

camineet

Banned
PolyGone said:

1941 was not on NES, or any other console in the early 90s, except the SuperGrafx.
It's a sequel to 1942, 1943 and 1943 Kai. The NES got versions of 1942 and 1943.

The arcade versions of 1942, 1943, 1943 Kai are all 8-bit arcade games.
I don't mean 8-bit as in NES, I mean on 8-bit arcade boards with more
graphical punch than NES (or SMS), especially in the case of 1943 Kai.

But 1941 was a whole generation ahead, a 16-bit CPS arcade game.
It would've been silly to attempt an NES version.
1941 ran on the same board that powered Final Fight, Strider,
UN Squadron, and Street Fighter II among others.
If anything, there should've been an SNES version of 1941,
but there wasn't.

1942 (arcade, 1984)
This game was ported down to Famicom/NES in 1985/1986
10000102.jpg

1943 Battle of Midway (arcade, 1987)
This too was ported down to Famicom/NES, in downgraded form, in 1988/1989
10000301.jpg

1941 Counter Attack (arcade, 1990)
This was never ported to Famicom/NES. It was only ported down to SuperGrafx, in 1991
10024902.jpg

JavaMava

my buddy bought one of these with 18 pc engine games.... like today.

EDIT : At Square One, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I always wanted a SuperGrafx, VERY cool looking (and unique) console.

Hardware-wise it was a bit of a kludge though, it was half-arsed for backwards compatibility. So it's no surprise it didn't excite developers in the same way the original PC-Engine did. Which really was PERFECT hardware for it's time and for what it was designed to do. Lovely little bit of kit, and the original PC-Engine is still the most beautiful console ever released.

The PC-Engine story totally mirrors the Amiga actually.

PC-Engine was the Amiga 500, the SuperGrafx was the Amiga 1200 with the halfarsed AA/AGA chipset, the unreleased Ironman was the unreleased Amiga with the AAA chipset, and the fucked up PC-FX was the fucked up CD32.

It's a CRYING shame both the Ironman and the AAA Amiga never came out, and both hardware familes are SORELY missed in East and West =(

Those were some VERY good times for games ...

Top Bottom