997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Targa Hardtop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 PM
RH512 is on a distinguished road
Targa Hardtop

I've been following this product which sounds like it is now available. I have no association with these folks.

Don't think I'll be doing it. Not inexpensive but just thought others might be interested.

www.gtn-automotive.com

Attached Images  

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-11-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: active lilnk
Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I've been following this product (developed in Europe) too, but while it appears to be very well thought out and designed, it is expensive (I believe it is well over $9000, depending on how the Euro goes).

Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
That is a very nice alternative to the OEM Porsche Hard-top for cabs... but at about twice the price (ouch!)

Old 06-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I've been following it as well and have kept in touch with them for some time. It apperas to be striking in it's design and I think it would look great on my white 'S' (cab). But the price was shocking when I first found out and my perception hasn't changed since I've engaged with them - both plus and minus.
Rich

Old 06-12-2010, 03:14 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Looks like one of those products I'd have to see in person before I make my mind up - not sure if I like it or not, price aside.

Not that it really matters - I have a coupe.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I absolutely love it, love it, love it.

I am like a vampire though, hate the light, and would never buy a cab. However, I've seen a 997 coupe in asia that had it's top cut out to make it into a retro-look Targa, and I nearly flew there to see it.

I love the classic targa's, and as you know, I am not at all beyond slicing or dicing my car to get what I want out of it. I am currently considering cutting the rear 1/4 panels to allow for some ram air intake into the engine bay, for cooling purposes.
CATTMAN

Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 PM
mgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to all
Someone must have one. Do they have any reviews posted? Looks interesting.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
I know seeing photos is NOT the same as seeing something in person, but the execution on that looks very VERY nice. The issue the rear of the door windows seal looks iffy, but again, we are just seeing a picture so. I can't imagine it's not properly done.

I really like the way the rear glass looks on that. Wonderful. Given the 3-way flexibility with that top (targa mode, completely off, or coupe), IMHO, if the build quality and proper fit is up to par (and I have no reason to suspect otherwise) the price is well worth it. YEAH! I'd buy one. I want to do some more research on that.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It looks great in pictures BUT when it comes to this type of aftermarket kit it's hard to pick the ones which really fit versus the ones which look like they fit .

It's something that one has to see in person and drive or get some reviews by folks who have the kit .

There's so many things which can be great . There are also so many things which can not be so great . At $9000.00 one has to be certain.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I just skimmed their ad, but I'd be concerned about buffetting / airflow still. I know they say .30 drag with the targa in place, but that's with the windows up. I wonder how it is with the windows down.
Also, I didn't see anything about stowing the targa top while driving, For that $$, I'd assume they figured that out and I either missed it or it's a detail they didn't mention. In other words, you'd need a place to store the targa top in the car, vs in the garage, for rain or other expected or unexpected need.
I can't imagine that the type they show (3 options: stock, carbon, SS) would fit in the boot, so you would probably want two targa tops - the one pictured, and then you'd want one that collapses that you could take along. For me, I'd say a targa top that doesn't stow is not useful to me at all.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Jack667-

click on this link here:

http://www.gtn-automotive.com/gtn/sites/function.html

Then click on the two pictures of the open trunk, then after viewing that, click on "owner's manual" below those thumbnails, and download it (pdf) it shows the whole deal. Very nicely done storage solution in the trunk. It's actually a T-top, as there is a center support beam that gets installed, then left & right sections. Overall, the more I see this, the more I like it.

For the cab owner, you get 4 options, actually:
Hardtop coupe, Targa, and open cabin with the top completely removed, or Ragtop Up. Very cool beans.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-13-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 AM
300cd300sdl911 is on a distinguished road
I was considering this as well since I really like my '85 targa. Prior to our recent P-car purchase my wife and I were considering some car travel this year and this appeared to be a nice method of open air driving combined with higher security vs. a cab top.

I contacted the salesman last year and he said their product would be displayed at several auto shows throught the US. At the time the price was around $10k USD. Kinda high.

I ended up going with a stock Targa 4S.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Jack667-

click on this link here:

http://www.gtn-automotive.com/gtn/sites/function.html

Then click on the two pictures of the open trunk, then after viewing that, click on "owner's manual" below those thumbnails, and download it (pdf) it shows the whole deal. Very nicely done storage solution in the trunk. It's actually a T-top, as there is a center support beam that gets installed, then left & right sections.
Thanks for the info. I won't bother clicking through as I just bought a coupe (and would have considered this had I bought a cab), but I am an enthusiast and was curious, and glad I have an answer. Sounds interesting for sure.

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Overall, the more I see this, the more I like it.

For the cab owner, you get 4 options, actually:
Hardtop coupe, Targa, and open cabin with the top completely removed, or Ragtop Up. Very cool beans.
Don't take this the wrong way, and I know I'm butting in, but it sounds like you're trying to do the hard sell on yourself and rationalize this purchase. Good for you if you decide to buy it, but it sounds like you're drinking the same kool-aide that I do before embarking on a purchase.

Regarding the statement that "you get 4 options", a cab owner already has the last two you mention. Someone buying a hard top is going to get that option, of course. I see the thing as a unique way to get the targa option along with an expensive hard top purchase. So - it's really two additional options, not four. OK - I'm butting out now -

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
I love the old school look it combined with the new chassis it seems to blend very well together...

Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jack667
Don't take this the wrong way, and I know I'm butting in, but it sounds like you're trying to do the hard sell on yourself and rationalize this purchase. Good for you if you decide to buy it, but it sounds like you're drinking the same kool-aide that I do before embarking on a purchase.
Not taking it the wrong way at all. (lol) But you are mistaken, I don't need to drink the kool aid. Either I will buy it or I won't. It's that simple.

Regarding the statement that "you get 4 options", a cab owner already has the last two you mention. Someone buying a hard top is going to get that option, of course. I see the thing as a unique way to get the targa option along with an expensive hard top purchase. So - it's really two additional options, not four. OK - I'm butting out now -
That's a given. The removable Targa Top simply gives you two more... all with one car. I DO think that is pretty cool, albeit pricey... until you factor in what this really allows you. And I really really like the lines of the rear glass; though it may present better on certain colored cars than others.

Good luck with your decision!
The Porsche Targa 4S is still a very compelling proposition. I looked at one a few weeks ago, btw. Really liked the sliding top, and the opening glass hatch for rear access. It's still not a cabriolet, if that's what one wants, though. I'm still waffling between coupe and a cab.

They are all fantastic... Thanks!!! The hunt is part of the fun!

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-14-2010 at 01:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Targa Hardtop